Yes "Gotcha Day" is a real thing
Some parents choose to celebrate the day their adopted child becomes a part of their family. This day is often celebrated as "Gotcha Day." I am all about celebrating major family life moments, but for the love stop with the "Gotcha Day".This is purely coming from the perspective of someone who was adopted internationally. The day is weird. There are way better ways to refer and even celebrate the day your child entered your family. Just make it an annual day that you do something special as a family. Not necessarily to put the focus on making a point of the adoption, but on the family as a whole. Trust me, your child does not need a reminder that he/she is adopted. The yearly reminder of the fact can sometimes do more harm than good in the celebration. Despite the intention, the day often is really for the parents anyway.
There are strong arguments on both side of the debate. I am not saying don't celebrate the family event. Just don't make it about the child, adoption, and FOR THE LOVE don't refer to it as "Gotcha Day".
Pinterest makes "Gotcha Day ' worse
I encourage you as parents to research the information on the day, and to discuss it with a trained professional. Just don't go to Pinterest for ideas, no wonder adopted children have strong feeling about some of these adoption things.
I went to Pinterest to get an idea of what people are doing to celebrate the day. I will explain below my own experience and why I feel the way I do about the day below. The ideas for your personal celebration of the day is mixed with cute baby signs to dog treats, and family pictures with animals. YES. Parents of adopted children also celebrate the same way as anyone going to the pound to adopt a puppy. Adopted kids already have special issues that can sometimes come up. Celebrating a day that is also celebrated with pet owners is not something I encourage.
Just go to Pinterest for the treats. (No pun intended)
Just stick with the birthday
I never even thought to ask what day my parents actually got me. Growing up, being adopted as a baby, my parents were always my parents. Yes I knew bits about my adoption journey, and as I get older I understand more and more. The only day we celebrated was my birthday. I do understand that with older children being adopted that this my be a little different. I am speaking from my experience.
I can only imagine how much I would dread the yearly reminder that I was adopted. I feel sometimes the "stuff" is more for the parents than the children. I always knew I was adopted. My siblings always knew I was adopted. Not a secret. Just stick with doing something to celebrate the family as a whole.
Leave "Gotcha Day" for pet adoptions. Remember adopted children, are children first. They are adopted second.
Have a questions about adoption? Want my perspective on something specific? Use the form on the left to submit your questions to be answered anonymously.

No comments:
Post a Comment